Monday 14 October 2013

The search for a CDI finally successful

After a depressing few days I finally catch a break. A motorcycle cannibalising yard on the outskirts of Colombo suburbs had apparently sold some RZ parts in the recent past to a garage I visited. Without wasting any time I got the address and decided to visit the location; it was in a little village named Kiriwaththuduwa in the Thalagala area away from the busy Kottawa town.
After a one-and-a-half hour ride and asking 5 or 6 persons for directions I finally reached a large 2 story building surrounded by high walls that stood out like a castle among the little low budget single story houses scattered among large expanses of unattended land. Walking into the yard I see Thushara, the guy in charge, only in a pair of long trousers sitting on a concrete bench in the shade of a jam tree he seems to be in no rush to greet or inquire of my need. Thushara stands about 6' with tattoos and a long rasta style hairdo, at first sight I'm not sure if this guy is on his day off or just has no inclination of conducting business.
Walking up to him and greeting him I inform him of my need. Taking his time and without a word he gets up and climbs the stairs to the top floor of the building, I too follow him; reaching into a large plastic box full of various CDIs, almost without even looking he grabs the first unit that comes to his hand and asks me "is this what you want?", not knowing the part number all I had to go on was the recollection of wire colour-coding and the fact that the CDI had 9 wires; after some close inspection I said it may be a match. He assured me that this would do the job; however I had him confirm he would give me a refund if the part is faulty or incorrect which of course he assured me wouldn't be the case. He gets a little talkative and we have a short chat about how great a bike the RZ is and Thushara tells me of the riding experiences he had with the model long years ago. Indicating I might be back for more parts in the future. I leave.

Riding straight to Mr Rohan's, we fix the newly found CDI and keeping a close eye on the plug tip, kick down on the lever; "yes yes", is the response, as the plug generates a strong spark. The CDI is functioning perfectly and now with that success we can move to the next stage of the build.

No comments:

Post a Comment